22.1.12

About Chicken Cacciatore

By now you've probably gotten the hang of the old put-chicken-in-take-chicken-out-put-chicken-back-in cooking thing that's been going on in these parts (cf. this and this), so this recipe should be so easy I won't even have to explain it to you. But I will, because Santa knows I do like to babble (no I don't).

Like our chicken bog before it, chicken cacciatore is almost endlessly flexible, and it's almost endlessly flexible because when Italians go out into the countryside or wherever to do their hunting, they don't have grocery stores I guess? I don't know, I think something got lost in translation. But the ingredient list that follows is just the basics, so feel free to add whatever other vegetables you want depending on what's in season or what you pick up at the grocery store because I assume you're not out in the Italian countryside where they have no grocery stores. Apparently.

What you'll need is this:
  • 2 chicken thighs
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • ⅓ cup dry white wine
  • 1 can diced tomatoes


I also added a package of crimini mushrooms, cut into quarters. Also good: zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, eggplant, uh... other vegetables.

Now, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it gets all shimmery. Generously salt and pepper both sides of your chicken and brown them off really well for about 4 or 5 minutes per side. Then, remove your thighs and put them on a plate for later.



Add your onions and assorted veg to the pan like this:



and saute all that down until everything is softened and the onions have become translucent like this:



Add the garlic



and cook all that for up to a minute, then deglaze the pan with your white wine.



When the wine has mostly evaporated, add the can of tomatoes, with their juices. Give the pan a big stir to mix everything all up, then nestle the chicken thighs back in, skin side up.



Turn the heat down to a low simmer and braise the chicken for about 40 minutes, until your thighs are nice and tender and almost falling off the bone (TWSS or something).



Serve the cacciatore over a crusty loaf of bread or pasta or couscous or rice or polenta or WHATEVER ALREADY GOSH. And feel free to top that mess off with some fresh basil and parmesan cheese.



And as the Italian hunters say, Mangia!

7 comments:

  1. I am so very glad you're back to posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I've never made Chicken Cacciatore in my life, but I believe I now will try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now that we're settled I feel like a loose goal of posting once a week shouldn't be too onerous.

    Famous last words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandpa makes chicken cacciatore for us every time we visit their cabin. Frankly, your recipe looks a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I'm so excited about this. This is essentially my favorite food (veggies + chicken) so I'm going to be making it real soon. I'm moving next weekend and I'll finally have my very own kitchen to mess around in! Cacciatore here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totes one of my go-to recipes. It is, like, insanely easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES. Thank you. Another recipe to try. This looks so good...also I need to stop reading these posts right before lunch because this just makes my lunch look like shit. Shit, I say!

    ReplyDelete