1.5.10

About Mint Juleps

Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-dooooooooo.

I mean,



(Dude, my boyfriend has lost a lot of weight since last year. Go him.)

Happy Derby Day! Last year we celebrated the Preakness with a mighty tasty Black-Eyed Susan, so this year I thought it might be nice to introduce you to the classic mint julep. But, as with everything on this here website, please take this recipe with the following caveat (emptor; hi, Scott!): this is not the "traditional" way to prepare a mint julep. No, like most things Southern-with-a-capital-S, the traditional mint julep is prepared with a level of pomp and circumstance reserved for weddings and funerals (four and a, if you're counting). And since I lack the proper silverware, you'll just have to roll with me on this one.

LET'S GET DRINKING. For each cocktail you'll need:
  • 2-3 oz. of the Bourbon of your choice
  • 1-2 teaspoons of simple syrup (I err on the side of less sweet)
  • 8-10 mint leaves (I grow my own, of course)
  • Ice, preferably crushed
So, gather your ingredients and glassware.



(My boyfriend and I have slightly different tastes in both, apparently).

Add the mint leaves and simple syrup to your glass.



Now, muddle the mint with a muddler until the leaves are bruised, but not falling apart into pieces (that will later get stuck in your teeth like the obnoxious leaves that they are).



Now add the bourbon.



Now add a little ice, and vigorously stir that all up until it's nice and chilled.



Now fill up your glass with some more ice until you're pretty much full.



And now it's time to make your bets! (I put five bucks on the filly. GIRL POWER!)

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. That's the best video I've ever watched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mint julep sounds just about perfect were it to get warmer than 55 degrees around here anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew Seth bugled. He's a bugler!

    Aaaaaaaaand now I'm giggling for no reason. Someone get me some bourbon or whiskey, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruising the leaves seems a little harsh. I like to simply insult them for awhile. Usually something scathing about their mother.

    We should do more drink-related recipes. Drinking is the cause and the cure of all that ails everyone, so it's always a worthy topic.

    Also, homemade grenadine:

    http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2006/05/21/grenadine-face-off/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will make drink recipes a habit if you promise likewise. if we can't drink in person, we might as well drink like nerds on the internet.

    ReplyDelete